Florentine cuisine remains the guardian of a great tradition consisting of simple dishes, often prepared with humble, genuine ingredients like bread, oil and vegetables. However, it does not lack in elaborate and imaginative recipes, like the meats prepared in dolceforte, reminiscent of the splendor and eccentricity of the renaissance courts when the aim was more to amaze the guests than to satisfy the palate. Continue reading “Florence Gastronomy” »Read More
This Museum was founded in 1946 by Gaetano Pieraccini and Paolo Graziosi to contain the prehistoric collection present in Florence. It is located in Palazzo delle Oblate and till 1975 it was opened only for specialists and scientists. Continue reading “Museo Fiorentino di Preistoria “Paolo Graziosi”” »Read More
It was founded by Cosimi de’ Medici and built by Luca Ghini it is the seat of of the most famous botanical schools.
It is one of the oldest botanical gardens, it was created by Niccolò il Tribolo in the first half of 16th century. It was created as a garden for medicinal plants. He had planned flowerbed, bushes etc. Today it remains only the great gate and a stone bust by Esculapio. Ghini led the garden to a wide prestige, but after his dead the garden was neglected. Then Cosimo III gave it to Società Botanica Fiorentina and Pier Antonio Micheli increased the collection of plants and the garden became famous in the world. In 1746 Saverio Manetti published an index with the names of seeds of the garden. In 1783 the property moved to Georgofili Academy and its name changed in “Orto Sperimentale Agrario dell’Accademia dei Georgofili”. Then the direcor became Antonio Targioni Tozzetti and the name was the original Giardino dei Semplici. Then the “Regio Istituto degli Studi Superiori Pratici” changed once again its name in “Orto Botanico dell’Istituto di Studi Superiori”. Continue reading “Orto Botanico “Giardino dei Semplici”” »Read More
Via L. C. Farini leads to the Tempio Israelitico or Synagogue, adjoining is the Museo Ebraico di Firenze or Jewish Museum of Florence, which features objects of Hebrew ceremonial and a number of ancient codices. In the Museum you can admire the Monumento ai Deportati; the original is located in Jerusalem. The museu told the history of jewish community: a plastic model represent the ancient ghetto, there are many photos, religious objects as medals and sacred dress. Continue reading “Museo Ebraico” »Read More
Palazzo Medici-Riccardi was built by Michelozzo for Cosimo the Elder. It contains imporant works such as Donatello’s Giuditta. Cosimo praised this building saying that it was a too big house for such a small family. Then its property moved to Riccardi family: they built more windows and main door. There are many differencies between the old and the new part; Riccardi added their symbol a key. Continue reading “Museo di Palazzo Medici Riccardi” »Read More
It was built by Repubblica Fiorentina and named “fabbriceria”. This Museum housed works of art by Arnolfo di Cambio, the first architect of the Opera, Giotto, Andrea Pisano, Francesco Talenti and Filippo Brunelleshi. Continue reading “Museo dell’Opera di Santa Maria del Fiore” »Read More
This Museum of the construction of the Church of S. Croce occupies a number of rooms in the convent to the right of the Church.
You will enter the handsome first cloister that ehibits bronze sculputures the you will enter the former 14th-c. refectory which contains major art works. Among them note the large Crucifix by Cimabue and the frescos by Orcagna and Gaddi. In the second hall there are objects belonged to the Steeple; in the third room there are frescos and sculptures from 14th century. Continue reading “Museo dell’Opera di Santa Croce” »Read More
This Museum was founded by Herbert P. Horne. He gave the Palace and his collection to Italy. The Palace was completely restored by Simone del Pollaiolo under instruction of Horne who moved to Italy to study italian Renaissance. Continue reading “Museo della Fondazione Horne” »Read More
The origin of the name “Bigello” derives from the Compagnia Maggiore di Santa Maria del Fiore that became Compagnia del Bigallo an organization founded to assist the elderly, orphans, and the poor. The building that today contains the loggia and oratory were parts of one house that was given to company in 1350. Continue reading “Museo del Bigallo” »Read More